The Full, Fun Last Day of our Adventure

, , No Comments

We’ve been home two and a half weeks and I am finally taking time to record the moments of our last day of vacation…. this is proof positive that I am glad I took the time to record our memories while on vacation b/c there is no way I could have gone back and done it once home. 

We woke up QUITE cold on our last full day of vacation at Great Basin National Park.  Since the elevation of our campsite was 9000+ feet we found ourselves snuggling in our sleeping bags with our sweats on.  We even took time to build one last fire in the fire ring to stand around during breakfast.


Before departing for our hike, we were treated by a visitor at our campsite… This mule deer didn’t seem at all bothered by our presence as he strolled along the stream bed right outside our tent.



We set off for the alpine lake trail.  It covered similar ground to the hike we did the day before but instead of going up towards the glacier and ancient trees, it veered to the right and went to two alpine lakes.  We found ourselves going at a steady clip, I think we were getting more adjusted to the elevation.


The water level of the first lake was significantly lower than it has been in past years.  You could see where the water level used to be.  But, thankfully there was still a lake to see.









The snow melt streams were beautiful as were the wildflowers beside them.


Check out this root!




Climbing more hills…



Till we reached the next lake. (haha…. some had more energy left than others it appears).



Here the youngest three learned how to skip rocks.

IMG_1839   IMG_1840


I love when hikes take you to a spot you wouldn’t otherwise get to see.  (unlike hikes that take you to overlooks you could have driven to in your car).


IMG_1859   IMG_1861




Aspen!  I thought these trees were so beautiful.




After our hike, we quickly tore down our campsite and made our way to the visitors center to get the kids junior rangers badges. 

Then it was off to Vegas baby!  After a 5 hour drive we checked into our hotel and showered.  Then it was off to show the kids a few spots on the strip and grab some dinner.  It was around 7 or so by the time we took off.

First stop, Paris!




Then the fountains at the Bellagio! 




Followed by a late night pizza dinner in New York City



and a fight at the MGM Grand



Then it was back to our hotel to catch some sleep and get ready to head home in the morning.  It was a LONG day…not sure what else we could have packed into that day.  But, a fun one!  And everyone got to do/see what they had wanted.  Our flight home was uneventful.  Thankfully we had a direct flight which simplified things.  By the time we landed, got our bags, got our van, made a quick stop at the grocery store for dinner/breakfast supplies… we arrived home at 10pm.  Of course, to us it felt like only 6pm, but we knew we all needed to quickly adjust to east coast time, as Scott had work in the morning and the girls had practice.  No smooth transition back into normal life, for us.  But, we are so very grateful for the time we had away, to enjoy each other and the beauty of God’s creation.  We find ourselves still marveling at all the green back home, after spending 2 and a half weeks in a mostly desert climate. 


Post a Comment

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)